GATCA’s Five Senses Book list
GATCA WA recommends Singapore Math & GATE/Scholarship resources in the list below. Members are eligible for a 20% discount on the recommended books from the online store Five Senses.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for the discount code
- Tick the items you want to purchase and click ‘Add to Cart’ at the bottom of the page. If you choose multiple books, the cart will list it as ONE ‘bundle’ containing your books.
- Click on the Shopping Cart at the top right and click ‘View and Edit Cart’ to open your cart.
- Enter your discount code and click ‘Apply Discount’.
- In the Order summary, you will see your 20% discount applied to your booklist bundle.
- Proceed through checkout.
Singapore have taken an innovative approach to teaching elementary math — the curriculum focuses on problem solving particularly with diagrams which has resulted in Singapore students leading the world in math.
Non-routine (new to the student) math problem solving provides gifted students with:
- An interesting and enjoyable way to learn mathematics that develops a child’s quantitative reasoning
- High order thinking skills – intellectual skills that call for more than the retrieval of information
- The need to pay attention to detail and think clearly
- Exposure to initial confusion and failure so they learn how to persist and trust their thinking
- Read, interpret and manipulate precise and intricate ideas
- The need to apply themselves steadily across time